Just suppose a Christian or to be more specific, a true worshipper of Christ comes to the point of realizing they are suddenly experiencing exhaustion when working in the ministry. What do they do? Are they just in a state of struggling with unbelief or are they truly experiencing signs of burnout?
Maybe it’s just a phase? This is a good place to discuss the possibility of “Burnout”! Better yet, “Christian Burnout”!!
We must remember that we live in a world of sin. A world inundated with the daily stress of getting ahead, missed opportunities, high demands, and just unwanted pressures we place on ourselves. Yes, even Christians can get overwhelmed by the pressures of life!!! We must remember that we still live in this body of flesh and are subsequently vulnerable to all things that the flesh experiences.
If one had to associate a meaning to what “BURNOUT” means, they would have to say its a state of mind that effects how you react to certain things in your life. When you are experiencing “BURNOUT”, you have already come to a state of feeling exhausted in your mind and spirit. This means that your mind is exhausted and thereby affecting your spirit. Yes, it can be an emotional thing but it also can affect you physically. After all, “BURNOUT” affects all aspects of your life.
Let’s be real…“BURNOUT” can happen to anyone and anywhere!!! Even those that believe in Christ!!
Some may say that “BURNOUT” can’t happen to those that believe in Christ and are true followers of Christ. Let’s look at this from another aspect.
Here are some things that we must consider below:
- Do you feel compelled to serve God through your works in the ministry? In other words, do you consistently feel that you have to do things in the church just because you were asked to do it? Even if you are already overwhelmed with assigned responsibilities? God works with the heart and your works should always be from a God filled heart.
- Do you feel that you have to do a task just because no one else has the desire to do it? Ask yourself, is this task for you…it’s ok to say no.
- Do you push yourself when you are tired because you think God will be better pleased with you and your efforts? God looks at the heart and not so much your works.
- Do you sometimes feel uninterested in the church environment and don’t want to do anything? This should be an alarm that something else is going on that needs your attention. Satan will use this to discourage you!!
- Do you find yourself easily irritated and short with your brothers and sisters in Christ? Again, what’s really the issue?
- Are you just plain cynical when it comes to ministry? Remember that ministry work involves heartfelt direction.
- Do you feel the lack of control in certain situations in the church environment? God has to be the controlling factor in all situations.
- Is it hard for you to sometimes pay attention during morning worship? Distraction is one of Satan’s tricks, don’t be fooled!!
- Is it difficult for you to really care about others because you are too preoccupied with yourself? Another one of those B.U…G.S. We must not allow ourselves to be so self-reliant that we don’t depend on God.
- Do you withdraw yourself when dealing with anything that involves work or solving issues? Identify the real issue and deal with it before it takes over. Satan of the creator of DARKNESS.
- Do you have difficulty relaxing or sleeping? Stress and uncertainty can cause your spirit to be restless…Learn to Rest in God!! His YOKE is easy and burdens are light.
- Do you feel that you are insignificant to others and probably won’t make any difference to whatever is being discussed? Satan’s job is to make you feel disconnected from the body of Christ…beware!! This is the makings of DISUNITY!!
- Do you say “I don’t know” when asked simple questions? This is a sign of disconnect … know what you are disconnecting from before you actually do it.
- Do you dread getting out of bed and going to Church? When we lose the enthusiasm of having Christ in our lives, this can surely happen to the best of us. This is why fellowship in Christ is so important in our journey.
- Have you lost your enthusiasm or sense of purpose about church or even worship? Remember it’s Satan’s purpose in life to blind you of God’s purpose in your life…be aware of the tricks.
- Do you have a habit of saying “I don’t care” or “It’s not going to make a difference”? These are some of the B.U.G.S. that get us to the place of unbelief. This is the reaction that Satan lives for so he can further destroy your faith in God.
- Do you constantly complain without looking for solutions? Even the children of Israel complained after they were released from bondage… the tricks of Satan are real …don’t be passive about your faith!
- These are very tough questions to ask yourself but if answered honestly, can help you know your state of mind and seek help from God to get better. We must not be so self-reliant that we push God to the side.
- Do we as true believers really experience these type of things? If we are honest with yourself, the answer is “YES”. And understand this, these things can lead to “BURNOUT”
- So what do we do about this?
- We are going to experience all kinds of emotions, situations, disappointments, and demands. The key to all of this is to know where you are in Christ. “BURNOUT” does exist! Don’t be fooled or passive about its existence. Get the help needed to correct B.U.G.S. (Being Under The Grip Of Satan) that appear in your life. It may seem trivial at first but it can grow to an illness if not corrected. It will affect the major parts of your journey and cause you to stop or hesitate in your walk with God.
- This is what will help each of us when we find ourselves approaching or in the midst of “BURNOUT”:
- Remember that Jesus said in
Matthew 11:28-30…Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”We must rest in Jesus…you can’t do this journey alone .. you must include Jesus in every aspect of your life. Being self-sufficient can be harmful and dangerous if not handled correctly. REST IN JESUS!!Seek help when you need it…acknowledge where you are and work on correcting anything that is approaching “BURNOUT”. True Believers in Christ must learn to use what God has provided for their successful journey with Him. Grace and Mercy are given for a reason. It lets you know that you can’t do life without God.Don’t be so SELF-RELIANT that you push God out of your life. Realize how much God values you …read it …absorb it. it’s in the Book (BIBLE)Understand and war against Satan’s tricks. Learn how to fight effectively.
There is so much more that can be said on this subject but maybe in another series. This article is to bring awareness to the presence of “BURNOUT” that exists among those that are believers in Christ. It’s ok to recognize it but it’s not ok to ignore it!!
Let’s be more attentive to this area that may show its face in our lives. remember to take the proper action before it destroys our belief and faith in God.
If you would like to hear more about the effects of “BURNOUT” ,please let me know in your comments.
Your comments are needed and welcomed…. #BurnoutIsReal #RestingInJesus #FocusedOnJesus
Thank you for listening…
Prayerfully Submitted (An Unfinished Story)
Evang. Debbie Watkins
Disclaimer* These posts are no in any way posted based on expert input. My expertise comes from LIVING LIFE in the CHURCH. Please read with an open mind, attitude, and heart. Thank you.